ant-user mailing list archives

From "Juergen Hermann" ...@web.de>
Subject Re: Creating tasks in Ant for C++ project
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:34:07 GMT
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:32:42 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:

>> >    is it easy to create custom tasks in Ant
>> with scripting languages, it is easy.
>Really??

Writing custom tasks is easy.

>Make is essentially a declarative language where the make engine deduces
>from the available facts (file timestamps) and rules what commands to
>execute.

Ant is and does the same; where the defaults fail, you can use <dependset>s.

>Ant is a much more conventional approach, more like custom
>shell-scripting of commands to perform a build.

Not in my POV. make is the tool that exposes the underlying shell in a
pretty unportable way (one reason why such things like autoconf/make have
been invented).

BTW, the only REAL declarative language I know in wide use is SQL. All the
others (Prolog, XSLT, Ant, ...) are functional under a shallow declarative
crusting. And even with SQL, you're lost w/o knowing the query plans if you
work in real-world high-preformance environments.

Ciao, J├╝rgen