ant-user mailing list archives

From <hind.lwahh...@accenture.com>
Subject RE: retrieving project names with subant
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:41:26 GMT
hi ivan,
It's for user friendliness purpose, typically:
Hello user: here are all the buildable projects, choose the projects to build blabla...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ivan Ivanov [mailto:rambiusparkisanius@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thu 7/14/2005 6:29 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: retrieving project names with subant

Hello,

it just occurred to me that ant build scripts are XML
files (I am a genius, aren't I :) ), so you can use
<xmlproperty>[1] to extract the name attribute of
project node:
<project name="main" default="main" basedir=".">
    <target name="main">
        <echo>Main project name is
${ant.project.name}</echo>
        <subant antfile="sub.xml" target="sub"
buildpath="${basedir}"/>
        <xmlproperty file="sub.xml"
semanticAttributes="true" keepRoot="yes"/>
        <echo>${project.name}</echo>
    </target>
</project>

So it is possible, but clumsy - for example you have
to iterate over the fileset using <for>[2]. By the
way, in 90% of the cases projects' names are just for
user convenience and are not so important for the
build process. The other 10% where they are important
for the build process itself concerns <import>[3]
task. So why do you need them?

Regards
Ivan

[1]http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/xmlproperty.html