ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <>
Subject Re: creating -projecthelp default help target
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:12:12 GMT
Hello Dewey,

What is the operating system you are using. If it is
windows, error=2 usually means that windows is not
able to find the executable, i.e. it is not in the
classpath. Also bear in mind that the usual way of
using <exec> on windows is like this:
<exec dir="....." executable="cmd.exe"
    os="Windows 2000,Windows XP">
    <arg line="/c ant -projecthelp"/>
and it is described fully in <exec> docs[1].

Since you are invoking it in ant build script, then
${ant.home} is already set, so that you can also
provide the absolute path to ant launching script:
<arg line="/c ${ant.home}/bin/ant -projecthelp"/>

I have done this before and I would recommend you to
use <java> task (written by memories and not tested) :
<java classname="">
  <arg value="-projecthelp"/>

HTH Ivan

--- "Dewey, John" <> wrote:

> Hi I'm trying to get ant help to printout a small
> message and then the
> ant -projecthelp  listing, but I keep getting the
> following error:
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\jdewey\Desktop\zz\build.xml:11: Execute
> failed: CreateProcess: ant
> -projecthelp error=2
> Any ideas?
> The build file I am using follows:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <project name="helpTest" default="help" basedir=".">
> <target name="help" description="lets people know
> about -projecthelp">
>   <echo>
>   ***************** usage *****************
>   Blah blah blah
>   </echo>
>   <echo>-projecthelp prints the custom menu for this
> build file</echo>
>   <exec executable="ant">
>     <arg value="-projecthelp"/>
>   </exec>
> </target>
> </project>
> The version of ant I am using is:
> Apache Ant version 1.6.5 compiled on June 2 2005
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: