ant-user mailing list archives

From hiren patel <hiren...@yahoo.com>
Subject Does Ant improves the performance in large c++ project than make?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:27:38 GMT
Hi,
We are having a  large,multi platform,complex,commercial C++ project which is build by
using a make peer PVCS merant make. In oreder to tailor the functionality of make, we have
created the wrapper around it.

Around 700 of make files in hierarchy with some top level  makefiles are used by the make.
A complex perl script performs and co-ordinates the build stages. It also executes some of
the build stages in parallel.

Full build itself takes aroud 7 hours. Project is build on unix,sun solaris and NT platforms.

Question is can Ant be used for this kind project where build takes a several hours already?

ANT documentation doen't states that it can be used for C/C++ projects and doen't provides
any tasks for C++ file compilation in the latest version.

As ANT is designed for java based projects and uses JVM which could make
it significantly slower than it is right now. isn't it?

is anybody using the Ant for such project?
if so than what will be the effect on build time (as this is the most important criteria for
us) if we move from PVCS merant make to ANT?

Since ANT calculates the file dependencies by its own, I suspect time overhead in doing this
at each build operation. Is there any way to cache the dependancy information in order to
remove this overhead?

Please provide suggestions,
Thanks,
Hiren patel