ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <>
Subject Re: build.xml for javadoc of entire folder tree
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:07:14 GMT

--- JS developer <> wrote:

> hi,
> i'm a beginner with ant, i want to generate the
> javadoc for the entire that comes with the
> sun jdk download.
Quite an ambitious undertaking :). Why don't you just
download it from[1]. Anyway, it you want it for
educational purposes, here are some guideliness:
0) Read <javadoc> task documentation[2]
1) <javadoc> task will (in this case) a very long
command line, that might exceeed the maximal command
line length for some OS. If so, use useexternalfile
attribute of <javadoc> task
2) It will definitely consume a great deal with memory
so you should increase the maximum heap size using
ANT_OPTS environement variable[3]. In fact, I run the
following snippet with 512m heap size and it fails
with an OutOfMemoryError:
<javadoc author="yes"
  <fileset dir="C:\\j2sdk1.4.2_03\\src">
    <include name="**/*.java"/>