ant-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does Ant improves the performance in large c++ project than make?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:45:58 GMT
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 08:19 +0200, Juergen Hermann wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:45:13 -0700, Alexey N. Solofnenko wrote:
>
> >It is quite possible. With make it is usually one file at a time
> >compilation. ANT is smart enough to request a build for several files at
> >a time.
>
> BTW, it sounds as if ccache and/or distributed compiling (ccdist I think) is a
> better solution for hiren's problem.

Agreed. Building large c/c++ systems is a problem that has been solved
many times before Ant was invented.

In fact, the major improvements are to be found by correctly structuring
the source code to avoid unnecessary dependencies rather than applying
any special "silver bullet" build tool. In the end, any build tool like
make/ant is simply invoking the same underlying compiler. That's where
the bottleneck generally is rather than in the build tool, and the fix
is by reducing unnecessary includes, using opaque types, etc.

Or by brute force using distributed builds to build on multiple machines
concurrently as Juergen mentions.

Or via a bigger build machine :).

[NB: I hadn't heard of ccache - thanks for the info.]

Cheers,

Simon