ant-user mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does Ant improves the performance in large c++ project than make?
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:35:36 GMT
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 17:27 -0700, hiren patel wrote:
> Hi,
> We are having a  large,multi platform,complex,commercial C++ project which is build by

> using a make peer PVCS merant make. In oreder to tailor the functionality of make, we
have created the wrapper around it.

> Around 700 of make files in hierarchy with some top level  makefiles are used by the
make.
> A complex perl script performs and co-ordinates the build stages. It also executes some
of the build stages in parallel.

> Full build itself takes aroud 7 hours. Project is build on unix,sun solaris and NT platforms.
>
> Question is can Ant be used for this kind project where build takes a several hours already?

Ant can be used to build non-java code. However it is likely to be
significantly less efficient than Make.

Using Ant will definitely not resolve your build issues.

You may wish to read "Large-scale C++ Software Design" by John Lakos. I
found it an extremely useful book.

Regards,

Simon