ant-user mailing list archives

From RADEMAKERS Tanguy <Tanguy.RADEMAK...@swift.com>
Subject RE: Question: List
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:15:01 GMT
Frank,

Download and install the latest binary for windows. The included docco
is excellent. Once you can write your own simple build files, a great
way to learn is by examining existing (working!) build scripts, so grab
some open source stuff and see if you can build it with ant, then peek
at the build.xml file to see how it's done. The appfuse project has some
pretty much amazing ant scripts in terms of the things they do with the
tool, but put that off until you've looked at more basic examples.

I don't know websphere Studio, but iirc it's based on eclipse and that
has killer ant integration (to the point of shipping with a version of
ant, but get the latest binary anyways: it's worthwile to learn ant from
the command line)

There are a coupe of ant books on the market, but the best one ("Ant in
Action" from manning) is starting to show its age (based on version
1.5.something). O'Reilly just updated their "Ant the definitive guide"
but i haven't read it.

/t