ant-user mailing list archives

From Eric Tchepannou <melli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: valid characters for target names
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 15:36:38 GMT
Hi,
I will personally not use spaces, but I can remember a couple of times
where I have used dots (.) in my target names.

May be from the command line you may have to run your target like this:
ant -f <build_file> "install server" (I have never tested this, but it
could work)

On 6/10/05, ralapa@spamex.com <ralapa@spamex.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please clarify what is a valid characters for
> a target name?
>
> I have been using spaces in the target names, e.g. "install server",
> because it is more readable, and since I only invoke ant through
> my IDE (IntelliJ) I don't care that spaces make it harder to use on
> the commandline.
>
> But I was reading the ant manual, and it seemed to say that the
> target names should only be alphanumeric.  That seems extreme
> to me. Does that mean you can't use space, hypen, or underscore?
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex
>

> "A target name can be any alphanumeric string valid in the encoding of the XML file.
The empty string "" is in this set, as is comma "," and space " ". Please avoid using these,
as they will not be supported in future Ant versions because of all the confusion they cause.
IDE support of unusual target names, or any target name containing spaces, varies with the
IDE."

> http://ant.apache.org/manual/using.html#targets

Best Regards,
Eric Tchepannou