ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist <mlundqui...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: import Tidy jar, path to jar
Date Wed, 25 May 2005 15:22:43 GMT

On May 25, 2005, at 8:05 AM, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> heh, I have copied Tidy.jar to many locations.  the "primary" location
> is /home/thufir/java/lib/Tidy.jar,

oh, d'oh... that was in your previous email, I just missed it...

>  it's also at
> /home/thufir/java/src/org/w3c/tidy/Tidy.jar and
> home/thufir/java/src/atreide/org/w3c/tidy/Tidy.jar (the last one
> doesn't really make sense).

see below...

>   really, it should just be in "lib," to
> follow standards, right?

There's no "standard" in this regard.  It's somewhat conventional for
jars to live in some place(s) called "lib", and those places can can be
rooted anywhere that makes sense for your project.

>   but the import statement specifies "import
> org.w3c.tidy.Tidy;" so, errr, I should be boning up on import
> statements 'cause I don't know what that means (aside from
> org/w3c/tidy/Tidy).

OK, you understand that there is a relationship between the Java class
hierarchy and the structure of the Java source tree(s), but there is no
such relationship between the class hierarchy and the location of jar
files!

So "org.w3c.tidy.Tidy" has absolutely nothing to do with where Tidy.jar
lives.  It has everything to do with what you see when you do "jar tf
Tidy.jar" (try that command and you'll see what I mean).

Anyway, just from glancing over your stuff I'm not sure what your
problem is at this point.  You might try using
"${basedir}/lib/Tidy.jar" in your classpath setting.  See if the '-v'
and/or '-d' flags to ant shed any light.

HTH,
—ml—