ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mikael Petterson \(KI/EAB\)" <mikael.petter...@ericsson.com>
Subject A memory problem in ant or build.xml
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2005 06:57:31 GMT
Hi,

I am running Apache Ant version 1.6.2 compiled on July 16 2004 on Solaris 8.
I have about 1600 source files that I build.

I used ANT_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m";export ANT_OPTS
to execute my build file. ( Is there a way to check that ant use this env. variable?).
Then I get 'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError'
I increase the heap ( start and max) to:
ANT_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx768m";export ANT_OPTS
And I don't get the error. Everything is fine.....or...

Well as a programmer I want to make sure that we use the resources as efficient as possible.
Can I optimize my build.xml to consume as litte with resources as possible? How?
Is it ' a known problem' that ant 1.6.2 consumes a  lot of memory?
Does it matter which jvm I start ant in? ( I am using 1.4.2_02 )

All hints are very much appreciated.

//Mikael