ant-user mailing list archives

From "Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE)" <Luis1.Cone...@ge.com>
Subject RE: AINASL! Help with Parsing Files with Ant
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:18:57 GMT

> *The [Version] gets written as intended but annoyingly preceded by #

Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) Of course. A comment in a properties
file is always preceded by a # character

> *Ant/Buildnumber Task automatically inserts #Tue Apr 19 15:42:20 PDT 2005,
which is not my intention.
Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) However, it is the way the task
works

> *The Date, even if I try to format it through Buildnumber, comes out all
weird with escape chars.
Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) The properties are escaped when
dealing with non standar characters (colon, in this case); see
[http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#store(java.
io.OutputStream,%20java.lang.String)] for more information

> *Version's untouched HOWEVER NOTHING comes out in their original
> juxtaposition as the original target file in the order
> they're supposed to.

Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) When using this task there's no
guarantee to have the output values in the same position they input.
[http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/buildnumber.html]

> I have changed the order of the <entry keys to no avail;
> nothing, nada.

> I've written to the original contributors of the Buildnumber task
> utility...guess what? I rcv'd mail daemons.  Not surprised.

Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) Not a wise move, if you'd ask me.
Contributors / developers likes to discuss the issues in open forums than
closed communications.

> I'm the build/release guy and new to Ant and was trying to
> automate all my
> build processes with Ant. However, looks like I have to resort to GNU
> Utilities like Sed/Awk to accomplish parsing the
> [version.txt] file.  Any
> ideas or help would be appreciated.

Conelly, Luis (GE Energy, Non GE, GENE) Deal with it. If you are using a
Java program to load these properties, you will have no issues at all when
you load / use the stored values. Otherwise, I'd suggest to take another
ways instead of allowing Ant's <buildnumber> task to do the job for you.

-Luis