ant-user mailing list archives

From "Antoine Levy-Lambert" <>
Subject Re: How to Write A Custom Path / Fileset
Date Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:36:12 GMT
Hello Graham,

> I want to write a custom Fileset type that reads input from a file.
> I don't want to support any nested elements, I just want to be able to
> do something like this:
>     <libraryset id="myLibraries" file="libraries.txt"/>
> and have a custom class create a fileset based on the content of
> libraries.txt.
> So, I have two questions:
> 1. Is it possible for me to do this (i.e. define a new DataType and use
> it in a build file)?
> [Or do I have to write a custom Task that creates the fileset?]
It is perfectly possible to create a new datatype.
To make your datatype known to ant, you need to use the
<typedef/> task (see the manual).

> 2. If the answer to 1. is 'Yes', where/what should I be extending?
> [Or, if the answer is 'No', what sort of FileSet should my task be
> creating?]
I am not too sure. I would extend DataType or AbstractFileSet.
Probably rather DataType, since I understand your library set is something
quite specific.
Note that you might also have to create a special "Scanner" class (like
DirectoryScanner) to make the list of the files/dirs included in your

> Thanks very much,
> Graham.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: