ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to hide output of an <exec> -- what about <presetdef>
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:38:51 GMT
--- Ninju Bohra <ninju_bohra@yahoo.com> wrote:

> While waiting for a <redirector> fix (which will
> neccesiate a move to 1.6.3) I wonder if I can use
> <presetdef> to solve my problem (though maybe not as
> elegently).

Elegant enough.

> Define a presetdef for each <exec> for the standard
> (console output) invocation.  Inside the main script
> use a simple <if> check on the presence of an
> ${output.file} property and use that (instead of
> calling the <exec> task directly), i.e.:
>
>   <if>
>      <isset property="output.file"/>
>      <then>
>          <imp.exe.predef output=${outputfile}/>
>      </then>
>      <else>
>          <imp.exe.predef/>
>      </else>
>   </if>
>
> Am I using the <presetdef> correctly?

Not that I can tell.  In pure Ant:

<target name="foo" depends="file,nofile">
  <myexec executable="whatever" />
</target>

<target name="file" if="output.file">
  <presetdef name="exec">
    <exec output="${output.file}"
  </presetdef>
</target>

<target name="nofile" unless="output.file">
  <presetdef name="exec">
    <exec />
  </presetdef>
</target>

HTH,
Matt

> --- Ninju Bohra <ninju_bohra@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you give a further detail on how to use the
> > <redirector> solution (having never used
> > <redirector>s
> > before)?
> >
> > I am using ANT 1.6.2 (can't use 1.6.3beta1 :-()
> >
> > Taking Ivan Ivanov's advice I would like to have
> the
> > output from the <exec> either come to the screen
> > (when
> > run by user) or go to file (when invoked by CC)
> > based
> > upon a presence of a property...
> >
> > --- Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I guess spawn could work.  A couple more
> > > You want to have a single task declaration that
> > uses
> > > options.  Meaning you can't just declare file
> > > without
> > > using it all the time.  So you have two choices,
> > > still
> > > using I/O redirection.  With Ant 1.6.3 you will
> > have
> > > the alwayslog attribute on a redirector, so you
> > > could
> > > use <redirector output="NUL"
> alwayslog="${dolog}"
> > > />.
> > > Or you could use conditions to store a
> redirector
> > > particular ID.  So your exec would always use
> > > <redirector refid="r" /> which might ref
> > > <redirector id="r" /><!-- default behavior -->
> > > or
> > > <redirector id="r" output="NUL" />
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Matt

> but
> > > what
> > output
> the
> output
> > > controlling

> > > attribute
> > ${hide_output}
> > set
> > script

> spawn=${hide_output}>

> you
> Since
> > > paths),
> > > conditional
> > as
> > basically

> <exec>
> one
> > of

> value="file=${export.dir}\DataExport.dmp"/>
> > > > > >
> value="parfile=${export.dir}\fromuser.txt"/>
> > value="touser=${import.user}"/>
> value="RECORDLENGTH=65535"/>

> output
> > > is