ant-user mailing list archives

From John Cortell <cort...@cox.net>
Subject RE: launching Ant from a perl script
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:33:37 GMT
I had tried that, too, but that opens up a different can of worms. The perl
script I'm writing can't assume that .pl is registered as an executable
extension (such that one can simply type, for example, runant.pl, at a
command line and the file will automatically by fed to perl.exe). So I
can't do something like:

         `runant.pl -version`;

in my perl script. It would have to be

         `perl $ENV{ANT_HOME}/bin/runant.pl -version`;

OK. That works, but my actual scenario is more complicated. I'm not
directly writing a perl script but rather composing a data file. In the
data file, I'll be specifying a literal string that will be invoked as a
command in a perl script. Yes; it's all very messy and I'll spare you all
the gory details. I could probably make that work with some enhancements to
the system I'm working with, but that's a lot of work that could be avoided
if ant.bat file simply returned the error code.

Since I can fix *that* issue by simply adding an 'exit' at the end of
ant.bat, that's what I'll probably do. Hopefully someone in the Apache ant
development team is following this thread and makes the change in the
production bat file.

Thanks for the suggestion,
John