ant-user mailing list archives

From "Greg Irvine" <greg.irv...@thalesatm.com>
Subject RE: javadoc task issue with many files
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:31:22 GMT
Ok.  Problem solved.
The “useexternalfile=yes” option to the <javadoc> task reduced, as it said
it would in the docs ;), the command line length and bingo.

Next time I’ll tell myself RTFM!  :)

Greg.

From: Greg Irvine [mailto:greg.irvine@thalesatm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 March 2005 11:39 AM
To: 'user@ant.apache.org'
Subject: javadoc task issue with many files

HI all.

We’re (still) having an issue with the javadoc command not producing any
output.

We’ve tracked it down (by modifying the javadoc task code) and have found
once the length of all of our source file names reaches a little over
126,000 characters then the javadoc fails with error code 255.  We can’t
seem to find what this error code means either.

We use a <fileset> in the task using **/src/**/*.java to pick up all the
various “subprojects” within our directory structure for the overall
application.  Obviously we don’t want to be explicitly specifying individual
packages in our build if we can avoid it.

I’m a little surprised that we seem to be reaching some maximum parameter
string length because undoubtedly the Java sources themselves are
significantly larger.

Is there something I’m missing or something else I can do to get around
this?

Thanks for any assistance.

Greg.