ant-user mailing list archives

From alexander.bucc...@na.nykline.com
Subject The Ant way of doing things
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:04:21 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to Ant I'm trying to figure out the "Ant way" to solve the
following problems, and it's really giving me a lot of trouble.

I'm trying to take a subset of files in a directory, compare them to a set
of files with a different extension in another directory, and compile
these files and move them to the new directory if they are newer than the
target files.

For example, before the compile I have:
dir1/a.rod
    /b.rod
    /c.rod
    /d.rod

dir2/

After the compile I have:
dir1/a.rod
    /b.rod
    /c.rod
    /d.rod

dir2/a.bas
    /a.rox
    /a.txt
    /c.bas
    /c.rox
    /c.txt

The list of files to compile is always the same for a particular
directory.  One thing that seems particularly difficult is telling Ant
both that I want to restrict the build to a particular list of files, and
that I want to further restrict the list to only those files which have
changed in this second directory.  It seems like some tasks want to work
on lists and some want to work with sets.  This almost seems like a cross
between the two.

Another problem I'm running into is the case where I have file foo.rod
including library bar.rol.  I need to recompile foo.rod if either foo.rod
or bar.rol is newer than any of foo.bas, foo.rox, or foo.txt.  I suppose I
could simplify the case by only doing the time compare agains foo.rox
since it should be the same as foo.bas and foo.txt, but it's still
basically the same problem.

Any pointers?
Thanks,
--Alex Buccino