ant-user mailing list archives

From Mark Lundquist <mlundqui...@comcast.net>
Subject How to?: add target dependencies
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:30:44 GMT
Hi,

I've been using ant for some time, but I'm no expert.  I just joined
this list.  And here's my question! :-)

Actually, I can't even think how to phrase this question in any more
general terms :-)... so I'll just describe specifically what I'm trying
to accomplish (part of it will only make sense if you understand
Subversion, but oh well).

I've got several "modules" that I need to be able to build into various
projects.  So what I think I'd like to be able to do is use <macrodef>
and then be able to just call out the modules like so:

	<module name="killer-app" />
	<module name="job-security" />
	<module name="legacy-crap" />
	<!-- etc... -->

The idea is that this would

(a) build up a file that I can use to invoke "svn propset svn:externals
-f", then "svn update" the external 'mount-point' if it doesn't exist
— i.e., "fetch" the module sources into the local project;

(b) create a task for each module (e.g., "modules:killer-app") that
calls <ant> in the module subdirectory and also does some other stuff;

(c) make it so that the task "module" invokes all the module targets.

I think I can handle all the ant machinery for (a) and (b); it's just
(c) that has me flummoxed.

This kind of thing is a way of life in 'make'... there, you don't even
think about it.  You can say:

	modules:; module.killer-app
	modules:; module.legacy-crap

to successively add dependencies to a target.  So you can do the same
thing in a macro ("modules:; this_module" or whatever).  Or, you can
say

	MODULES += this_module

or

	MODULES = $(MODULES) this_module

(depending on the variant of make), and then later:

	modules: $(MODULES)

So there are a couple of ways in make, but I haven't seen that it's
possible to add a dependency to an existing target.  And Ant properties
are immutable, so I can't go that way...

BTW this isn't meant as an ant vs. make thing, I just mention it in the
hopes that maybe somebody else with a 'make' background will recognize
what the crap I'm talking about :-) :-).

Any suggestions?
—mark—