ant-user mailing list archives

From Jon Pearse <...@jonpearse.net>
Subject Ant, and user input in Java
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:31:11 GMT
Hi,

   I'm using ant to compile and then run a Java application which takes
user input from the command line via System.in. In my build.xml file:
	<java classname="installer.Installer"
		classpath="${basedir}/installer/*.class" fork="true"/>

   However, it appears that ant is holding onto System.in, so when my
application attempts to read from it, ant is providing it with null
objects.
   I've chatted to a couple of people about this and they've said that
this is a known problem, and that there is a workaround... but I've hit
the web and browsed this mailing list, and I've found no obvious
mention of anything related to this (other than other people saying
"I'm getting NullPointerExceptions"). So, does anyone have any ideas
about workarounds for this particular issue, or am I stuck?

   On a related issue, if I don't specify fork in the above command
(thus running the java app in the same VM), ant complains that it can't
find the class, and that I should make sure it's in the classpath. I've
not found anyone who can work out why that is, either - I'm pretty sure
I've done something wrong, but I've no idea what.

   Thanks in advance for any help,

-Jon