ant-user mailing list archives

From Yves Martin <yves.mar...@elca.ch>
Subject 'Java' fork information
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:50:34 GMT

   Hello,

 You may already know that the process command line is limited according to the
 OS. And that limit on Windows with the Win32 API CreateProcess is 32 Kb. If
 the limit is exceeded, you get a java.io.IOException.

 I just discovered that there is another limit: an argument of a command line
 must not exceed a specific length.

 On my Linux 2.6, that limit is 4075 - reasonnable I would say.
 With jdk 1.4.1_05 on Windows 2000, that limit is 392...

 It seems to be a JVM bug, as far as Win32 CreateProcess method works if an
 argument is longer that 392.

 What is really annoying: when the limit is exceeded, the Runtime.exec method
 never returns: the JVM process sleeps for ever and no child comes up ?!?

 Hope this helps on day
--
Yves Martin