ant-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: Ant should have an ext directory
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:09:28 GMT

On Jan 5, 2005, at 4:02 AM, James Abley wrote:
> Have you read or got access to a copy of "Java Development with Ant"?
> That has a good section about handling versioned dependencies which
> might work for you.
> It involves having a strict directory structure, and using a few levels
> of indirection with properties to reference dependencies. This allows
> you to override and use different versions as well if you have a
> compelling need to retain the ability to use older versions.
> (poor ASCII diagram to illustrate:)
> lib
>  |-lucene-version1
>     |-lucene-version1.jar
>  |-lucene-version2
>     |-lucene-version2.jar
> When you move to a new version, just update your file
> that contains the version information, and you have updated all 30
> projects.
> I haven't encountered a situation that required such complexity myself,
> so I'm just talking on a theoretical basis(!), but others on the list
> should be able to comment on how well such an approach works.

I, for one (!), use this scheme for the big projects where there are
multiple projects that share dependencies.  And I commend you for using
Lucene in your example :)

In fact, Ant has helped me tremendously getting up and running recently.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message