ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: line continuation character in build.xml file ??
Date Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:46:26 GMT
> From: Mark D. Hansen [mailto:m.hansen23@verizon.net]
>
> Is there a platform independent way to use a line continuation
character
> in an Ant build.xml file?  I need to use some long strings and have a
col
> width restriction of 80 chars.
>
> Something like this maybe?
>
> <macrodef name="generate-deployment-files-axis">
>   <attribute name="urlLocation"
>     description="URL where the service port is to be deployed \
>     e.g.., the soap:address location attribute when using the SOAP
> binding"/>
> </macrodef>

Not sure I understand. XML attributes are be formatted however you
want, even on several line, as long as whatever 'interprets' the
attribute value accepts it. There is no 'continuation' character
in XML. If you write an XML attribute's value on several lines,
indented so things line up, you just have extraneous whitespace
as part of the attribute value, but this usually doesn't matter.

In this case, nothing is done with a <macrodef>'s attribute
description, so you can write it however you want. --DD