ant-user mailing list archives

From Ninju Bohra <>
Subject Getting my own core task implementation ahead of ant.jar
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:38:52 GMT
Hello all,
I am using ANT 1.6.2 on WinXP and Lunix enviroments...
I have some issues with the <sql> task (defined by the class
in ant.jar (i.e. does not handle PL/SQL, no interactive error handling, etc...) and have made
suggestions to the ant-dev group as to how to resolve them.
But while waiting for the ant-dev to resolve and agree on a solution, I wanted to modify my
local ant environment to have contain my desired behavior.  Our first solution was to get
the ANT source and modify the default defintion of the <sql> task.  After rebuilding
the ant.jar everything worked but I felt uncomfortable that I had rebuilt and changed the
ANT distribution source and so I unable to move up the next release (without having to re-do
my code changes).
Then I came up with the idea that maybe if I could put my modified <sql> task in a seperate
jar and have that jar file (i.e. myTasks.jar), which has my <sql> task (same package
and class name) implementation, be loaded before the core <sql> task then my <sql>
would be used in place of the core ANT one.  And if and when the ant-dev group gets around
to implementing some of my suggestions in the core <sql> task, all I need to do is remove
my class from my jar file and I will auto-magically pick up the core <sql> task class.
Which comes to my core question, is this possible... and if so how/where do I list my jar
infront of ant.jars on both the WinXP enviroment (ant.bat, ant.cmd, antRun.bat) and the Lunix/UNIX
enviroments (ant and antrun)?
I am also open to other ways to solve the problem of getting a custom implementation while
still using the standard task name in my build.xml files?  I did not want to create my own
task name (i.e. <MYsql>) and use the <taskdef> to point to my custom implementation
(with different package or class name) because then I would make a lot of changes if/when
I moved back to the updated core task (i.e. <sql>).
I know that is way to wordy, but thanks for your input in advance,
Ninju Bohra

Do you Yahoo!?
 Meet the all-new My Yahoo!  Try it today!