ant-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Levy-Lambert <anto...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: system variables for win2k
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:39:58 GMT
THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

>>from the manual:
>
>"Windows and OS/2
>Assume Ant is installed in c:\ant\. The following sets up the environment:
>set ANT_HOME=c:\ant
>set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.2.2
>set PATH=%PATH%;%ANT_HOME%\bin"
>

>my system variables:
>
>ANT_HOME           "C:\ant"                                //do I
>want a "/" at the end?

NO

>JAVA_HOME          "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin\"   //do I
>want a "/" at the end?

NO; also JAVA_HOME should be C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0
without double quotes around it

>PATH               "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin\"   //do I
>want a "/" at the end?

No
also no double quotes

>what should the value of PATH be?  i'm using start/settings/control
>panel/system/advanced/environmental variables/system variables/ to
>set/get this info.  I prefer this method to set the var's because I
>can check that they have the correct values, versus clobbering(?)
>>from the command line.  am I alone in finding this arcane?  For
>instance, is PATH specific to java, or do other applications use that
>variable?

PATH is used by the command interpreter to find a command that you want
to start, without you
having to type in the full path where it is. If

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin
is in the path, then you can type "java" in a DOS box,
 and the system
will understand that you want to run

C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin\java.exe

>from the general nature of the word "path" I infer many

>different applications would use this variable, it strikes me as odd

>that it should be the JDK's path..?  sorry for the digression, pls

>just help me set these variables so everything works, the why is

>incidental at this point :)

thanks,

Thufir