ant-user mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@softwareag.com>
Subject Re: ZIP task å,ä and ö
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:44:40 GMT
Peter Wåhlander wrote:

> This directories which names contains the character å,ä and ö. When I unzip
> VitaNovaHemma.zip using Windows XP:s built in unzipper these caracters are
> lost. I have tried:

The problem is almost definitely related to the unzipper. I have a
similar problem with Tomcat: Tomcat is unable to extract files that have
ISO-8859-1 encoding for filenames, forcing me to use WinZip for
extraction of web archives. If I use UTF-8 encoding, I can extract the
files with Tomcat, but not with Winzip.

On the background: The Zip "standard" has never specified how to handle
encoding of file names. As a consequence, anyone chooses his preferred
way of file name encoding. For example, the java.uzil.zip classes will
*always* use UTF-8 (see
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4244499). WinZip will
*always* use the default encoding, which depends on the Locale. I have
no idea, what unzipper does, but it seems to have yet another style.

Jochen