ant-user mailing list archives

From "THUFIR HAWAT" <thufir.ha...@mail.com>
Subject system variables for win2k
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:54:46 GMT
from the manual:

"Windows and OS/2
Assume Ant is installed in c:\ant\. The following sets up the environment:
set ANT_HOME=c:\ant
set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.2.2
set PATH=%PATH%;%ANT_HOME%\bin"

my system variables:

ANT_HOME           "C:\ant"                                //do I
want a "/" at the end?
JAVA_HOME          "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin\"   //do I
want a "/" at the end?
PATH               "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin\"   //do I
want a "/" at the end?

what should the value of PATH be?  i'm using start/settings/control
panel/system/advanced/environmental variables/system variables/ to
set/get this info.  I prefer this method to set the var's because I
can check that they have the correct values, versus clobbering(?)
from the command line.  am I alone in finding this arcane?  For
instance, is PATH specific to java, or do other applications use that
variable?  from the general nature of the word "path" I infer many
different applications would use this variable, it strikes me as odd
that it should be the JDK's path..?  sorry for the digression, pls
just help me set these variables so everything works, the why is
incidental at this point :)

thanks,

Thufir