ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <rambiusparkisan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: jar management techniques
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 13:52:05 GMT
Mark,
--- Mark Lybarger <Mark.Lybarger@CBC-Companies.com>
wrote:

> we have a project that consists of an ejb module and
> a web module. the ejb module uses some 3rd party
> jars that are made available in the ear via the ejb
> jar's manifest.mf. our current practice and setup is
> to put all jars into our project sources's
> WEB-INF/lib folder. when building the ejb module, we
> try to include only the needed jars for that module.
> the web module still gets left with all the cruft.
> we have also put in build time tools (cactus jars,
> xdoclet jars, etc) into the web-inf/lib folder.

Since cactus is used only for testing and not for
production, the first idea is to move cactus jars in
$ANT_HOME/lib or better if you are using Ant >= 1.6 in
$HOME/.ant/lib. Thus you can still perform and write
your unit tests, but without having them in your lib
folder. Up to know we cleaned about 5 jars :))

The same can be done for xdoclet, I think.

There is no universal solution where one should keep
the needed jar. What I do is to keep all third party
Ant tasks in $HOME/.ant/lib so that I can share them
between my projects without "installing" for each of
them. Next you can also inspect which jars your are
actually using (i.e. the project cannot be built or
run without them) and simply delete the others.