ant-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: conditional <uptodate>?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:45:12 GMT
--- Gili <junk@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> 	Correct, except that if you read the Ant
> documentation it says
> that "depends" is not executed before "unless". It
> says that "depends"
> simply declares the order of execution if the
> dependencies if the
> target is being executed (i.e. past the "unless"
> stage). At least,
> that's my interpretation. Am I wrong?

Alas, you are indeed wrong.  ;)  The manual goes on to
say:
<quote>
Important: the if and unless attributes only enable or
disable the target to which they are attached. They do
not control whether or not targets that a conditional
target depends upon get executed. In fact, they do not
even get evaluated until the target is about to be
executed, and all its predecessors have already run.
</quote>

Conditional execution in pure Ant has historically and
still does rely largely on "execute on one or more
targets (depends), THEN check whether some property is
set (if/unless)."

HTH,
-Matt