ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scott Purcell" <spurc...@vertisinc.com>
Subject RE: .war file question
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:42:24 GMT
Yes, you are correct that I could create the directory at runtime, which is needed for downloaded
files, but the problem is our system is property driven, and if someone creates a directory
with the wrong property, then we get tmp folders all over the place and create quite a mess.
So by creating the directory ahead of time it ensures  an error if incorrect setup.

Which just made me think, that I can include a servlet with a start-up of '1' that creates
the needed directory. That way I just add another servlet to the mix and I think that will
resolve the issue.

Thanks for joggling my mind this morning.

Hope you have a nice day,
Sincerely
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:Wendy.Smoak@asu.edu]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 5:36 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: .war file question

> From: Scott Purcell [mailto:spurcell@vertisinc.com]
> As far as the index.html file, I am pulling one from cvs and
> was using that one explicitely, instead of having <war>
> create one. This is my first ant script and I am just getting
> underway. Any info is always appreciated.

Hmmm... I messed about with it for a while but it seems that Ant is
smart enough not to create the directory entry in the .war file if
there's nothing to go in it.

For all I know, it could be part of the zip file specification-- a
simple <zip> of a directory containing one file and an empty
subdirectory produced a zip file containing *just* the file.  I'm
betting there's a reason for that.

Which brings me to ask why you would want to do such a thing?  An empty
directory doesn't seem very useful. ;)  If you have some need to place
files in a directory at run-time, you can just create the directory at
that point.

(What do you mean by having <war> create index.html?  AFAIK it doesn't
do that.)

--
Wendy Smoak