ant-user mailing list archives

From "Bhadra, Jatin" <Jatin.Bha...@landg.com>
Subject Infrastructure Configuration Management
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:21:23 GMT
All,

	This email might be off topic as it is not specific to ANT so
apologies for that and also for length of the email.

	I have been assigned a task to propose tools, solutions and
processes for Infrastructure Configuration Management.

	We have got a decent Software Configuration Management system in
place that uses PVCS for Version Control System, ANT to build J2EE
application and wscp Scripts to deploy on WebSphere and simple bespoke
Release Management System. This has been working for couple of years and we
always have knowledge of what version of application is running in Dev,
Test, Pre-Prod or Prod environment.

	This is what we want. Following are the main areas that I am looking
at
1: Managing Configuration changes of WebSphere, IBM Http Server, DB2, MQ
Server across environments: We have got the templates for creating base
configuration of each of the above. If any configuration changes are
required with new application release then these changes are implemented in
test environment and tested. If all it well these changes are documented and
the deployer has to read through this document to implement these changes in
Pre-Production and Production which is time consuming and error prone. I
want to get away from documents and ideally have some tool that will promote
the configuration changes to next. Has anybody got any ideas or tools that
they know or have used that will read the config and promote these to the
next environment?

2: Compare 2 environment: When application does not work in test or pre prod
environment developers always have this one thing to say "It works in my
environment, Can you tell me difference between these 2 environment?". So my
questions is, Are there any tools in market that can compare 2 environment (
may be specific to WebSphere, DB2, IBM MQ Series Server, Apache Server)?

3: Configuration of whole Infrastructure (Not must, but good to have):
Taking it one more step ahead we would like to have complete knowledge of
Network infrastructure that was being use and configuration on all these
boxes to be captured. This includes firewalls, operating system, ports,
Routers etc. Any tools or ideas on this?

Are any of you in same boat as me?
Do you have these kind of issues?
Any solutions?

Regards,

JB

This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain privileged and/or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient please do not disclose, copy, distribute, disseminate
or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please reply
and tell us and then delete it. Should you wish to communicate with us by e-mail we cannot
guarantee the security of any data outside our own computer systems. For the protection of
Legal & General's systems and staff, incoming emails will be automatically scanned.

Any information contained in this message may be subject to applicable terms and conditions
and must not be construed as giving investment advice within or outside the United Kingdom.

Legal & General Group PLC, Temple Court, 11 Queen Victoria Street, London, EC4N 4TP.
Registered in England no: 1417162

Legal & General Group Plc is a holding company, subsidiary undertakings of which are fully
authorised as appropriate under the Financial Services and Markets Act in respect of their
investment activities in the UK.