ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Improving Tasks
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:55:21 GMT
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Rhino <rhino1@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I'm starting to get the hang of Ant now and am starting to think
> about developing some tasks to increase what it can do.

Welcome.

> 1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to
> prompt for a password that would remain unreadable to anyone looking
> over the users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"'
> parameter to make that possible with the default for 'mask' being
> 'false'.)

Good luck ...

IOW, we've tried before but couldn't produce a cross-platform
solution.  Maybe you have a new approach, this would be great.

> 2. I'm thinking about adding the capability of having a radio button
> group and/or drop down lists so that there are some additional ways
> for users to provide input.

Take a look at InputHandler[1] - you can provide a Swing InputHandler (I
vaguelly recall somebody has coded this already).

> The problem here is that I haven't any real idea how to go about
> this. How would I get my hands on the source code for the existing
> task without stepping on anyone's toes?

No worries.  Nobody owns any tasks in Ant.

> Would my enhancements have to be approved in advance or would I
> submit them and then go through some kind of voting process by Ant
> users with my changes discarded if I didn't "win" the vote?

Please read around a little in the Contribution and Project Managment
sections of the Ant website.  "Votes" on changes would be performed by
the committers (not users) on the dev@ant list.

> What testing would I have to do to satisfy the Ant community that my
> code was clean enough to implement?

JUnit tests speak louder than any screen shot 8-)

Cheers

        Stefan

Footnotes:
[1]  http://ant.apache.org/manual/inputhandler.html