ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dick, Brian E." <Brian.D...@FMR.com>
Subject RE: Running Ant from a Windows batch file
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:48:53 GMT
Since the ant command on Windows is a batch file, you have to "call" it
when you use it from another batch file. Change you batch file to

call ant -f cond3.xml

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Rhino [mailto:rhino1@sympatico.ca]
	Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 10:44 AM
	To: ant-user
	Subject: Running Ant from a Windows batch file

	I would like to be able to run an Ant (1.6.1) script from a
Windows batch file on XP. Unfortunately, my Ant script contains <input>
tasks and they are messing me up.

	Here is my batch file, cond3.bat:
	------------------------------------
	rem Batch file to run an Ant script.

	rem This variable is the drive that contains the executable
program.
	set progdrive=d:

	rem This variable sets the path to the script.
	set Script=eclipse\workspace\resume\xml

	rem Get into the directory containing the program.
	%progdrive%
	cd %Script%

	rem This command runs the program.
	ant -f cond3.xml

	pause
	------------------------------------

	This is my Ant script:

	------------------------------------

	<?xml version="1.0"?>

	<project name="cond3" default="end" basedir=".">

<!--==================================================================

	Determine which server is the target.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="getserver" description="Determine which server is
the target">

	<input message="Which server should receive the files? 1. Foo 2.
Bar 3. Test"

	validargs="1,2,3"

	addproperty="server.choice"

	defaultvalue="2"/>

	<condition property="servername" value="foo">

	<equals arg1="${server.choice}" arg2="1"/>

	</condition>

	<condition property="servername" value="bar">

	<equals arg1="${server.choice}" arg2="2"/>

	</condition>

	<condition property="servername" value="test">

	<equals arg1="${server.choice}" arg2="3"/>

	</condition>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Load the properties file for the appropriate server.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="getprops" depends="getserver" description="Get the
appropriate properties file depending on the server which was chosen">

	<property file="server.${servername}.properties"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Get the userid and password for the desired server.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="getlogin" depends="getprops" description="Get
userid and password for server.">

	<input message="Please supply the userid for the ${server}
server:" addproperty="userid" defaultvalue="dougb"/>

	<input message="Please supply the password for the ${server}
server:" addproperty="password" defaultvalue="dougbpw"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Execute the appropriate upload target, depending on which server

	was chosen.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="upload" depends="getlogin" description="Upload to
the selected server.">

	<antcall target="upload-${servername}"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Upload to the 'foo' server.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="upload-foo" description="Upload to the foo
server.">

	<echo message="Uploading to foo...."/>

	<echoproperties prefix="server"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Upload to the 'bar' server.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="upload-bar" description="Upload to the bar
server.">

	<echo message="Uploading to bar...."/>

	<echoproperties prefix="server"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Upload to the 'test' server.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="upload-test" description="Upload to the test
server.">

	<echo message="Uploading to test...."/>

	<echoproperties prefix="server"/>

	</target>

<!--==================================================================

	Display a message to the user.

==================================================================-->

	<target name="end" depends="upload" description="Display a
message.">

	<echo message="Uploads to server ${servername} are complete."/>

	</target>

	</project>

	------------------------------------

	So far my script works fine when run from a batch file except
that the command window closes very quickly upon completion of the
script and the user can't see the message generated by the 'end' target,
even though I have a Windows 'pause' command at the end of the batch
file. The 'pause' command works on other batch files I've written so I
don't see why it doesn't in this case.

	As a workaround, I tried changing the last lines of the batch
file to say:

	ant -f cond3.xml > cond3.out
	notepad cond3.out

	but this doesn't work properly either. In this case, the script
starts fine but the prompts, like "Which server should receive the
files? 1. Foo 2. Bar 3. Test"  from the input task don't appear in the
command window so the user doesn't understand what the command window is
waiting for.

	Does anyone know how I can have my cake and eat it too, in other
words run Ant from a batch file, see the prompts for inputs, and see the
output messages from Ant?

	Rhino
	---
	rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
	"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way
is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And
the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare