ant-user mailing list archives

From "Mark Lybarger" <Mark.Lybar...@CBC-Companies.com>
Subject RE: Any recommended methods for build and deployment in weblogic and jboss servers?
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:23:17 GMT
we use ant for building and deploying to weblogic.  we have a fragmented process. one build
process to build an archive for deployment which is sent (via ftp) to a holding area.  there's
quite a few steps in there, but basically, it's pull from cvs, compile the code, build the
ear and web app, and package it up into an archive file (we're using .tar unfortunately atm).

deploying then happens also via ant tasks.  tech services has a shell script that basically
just calls our deploy script to deploy when it's convenient for them.  our deploy script does
several things to get deployed to wls.  it first undeploys the existing apps from the running
server (to clean out cached WEB-INF/lib jar files). then it shuts down the servers using ant
java tasks. next, it copies in our versioned config.xml using ant filters to set it up for
the needed environment.  finally, it starts the servers again using ant java tasks, and then
deploys the components to the various servers.

backing out right now is as simple as running the deploy process on the previous version.
 all wls config changes are accounted for, and any library changes are cleaned up and ready
to go.

now, if we could only find time to include a method to inteligently handle database changes
as well.