ant-user mailing list archives

From "Jeff Davidson" <Je...@rocketgaming.com>
Subject RE: winning the case for ANT
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:55:14 GMT
I would also point out that Ant is not just a non-proprietary *Java*
build tool.  It is a non-proprietary built tool, period.  I'm using
Cruise Control and Ant to build Delphi and C++ binaries and to package
those binaries into an installer with NSIS.  In fact, I currently have
no Java in my project source anywhere.

Regards,
~Jeff D.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexey N. Solofnenko [mailto:A.Solofnenko@mdl.com]
Sent: October 15, 2004 08:11
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: winning the case for ANT

What do they propose? What type of projects are you going to build? Even
though I am using ANT everywhere, other people successfully use
VisualStudio to build their projects. Maybe your coworkers' ideas have
merits.

Long time ago we tried to use Make to build our projects and soon we hit
a command line length restriction. ANT handles most of the complexity
while still allowing to run external commands.

- Alexey.

Andreas Bothner [ MTN - Innovation Centre ] wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I am working in a team of developers, where one developer is completely

>against the use of ANT as a build script as he feels that xml should
>not be used as a scripting tool.  I would like to create an environment

>which does automated nightly builds, deployments and execution of tests

>with reports.  This team members negativity is hampering commitment
>towards this goal.
>

>I was hoping there would be somebody who could direct me to a
>resource(s) that will strengthen my case for the use of ANT, as I see
>it as the perfect tool to achieve this goal and am under the impression

>that it is the industry standard for non-proprietary java build tools.
>

>Regards,
>
>Andreas

This electronic message transmission, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of the
individuals to which this e-mail is addressed and is to be reviewed and used exclusively for
authorized company purposes.  This transmission may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged
information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified
that any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or taking of any action in
reliance upon the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you believe you
may have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return email and delete or destroy the original message and/or any copy of it from your computer
system and/or your files.  Thank you.