ant-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Redl <>
Subject Ant 1.6.2 failing to bootstrap
Date Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:40:15 GMT

This is a rather peculiar problem. I'm running a Gentoo Linux
installation and am trying to upgrade to Ant 1.6.2. I'm not 100% sure if
this is a problem of Ant or Gentoo, but I tried everything outside Ant I
know, so I'm finally posting here.
The Gentoo Ant installation process is split up into ant-core and
various task steps. ant-core first compiles a core Ant manually, then
uses it to run build.xml -> bootstrap.
The latter step fails, claiming that it can't find the compiler
The compiler is correctly installed on my system, under
which is in my classpath AND is correctly found by Ant's
(so it actually ends up in the classpath twice, but nothing changes if I
remove one occurrence). JAVA_HOME points at /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.1
Diagnostic output of Ant shows that tools.jar is correctly listed in the
classpath. Likewise, running Ant in the debugger and executing the
classpath command also correctly lists the jar.
Running javac on the command line works.
An unzip listing of tools.jar shows that com/sun/tools/javac/Main.class
exists and is in the correct place.
Bottom line: I'm out of ideas what could cause the problem. Everything,
everyone but Ant finds the compiler. Ant doesn't.
Could there be any ClassLoader issues?

Thanks in advance
Sebastian Redl

To unsubscribe, e-mail: