ant-user mailing list archives

From Robert Dockins <rdock...@coral.tufts.edu>
Subject parsing ant build scripts from unusual sources
Date Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:38:46 GMT
I'm interested in using Ant as part of a larger application, mostly to
do file transformations and various kinds of validation.  What I'd like
to do is store ant build files in a database, retrieve and parse them
and then run the resulting project to do the actions.

I've been able to start Ant from a java program using
org.apache.ant.helpers.ProjectHelper2, but I've discovered that it only
accepts File's and URL's as the xml source.  Because I'd like to store
my scripts in a DB, I need to be able to use an InputStream or similar.
  I've perused the code for ProjectHelper2, and it seems trivial to add
support for InputStream and/or InputSource.  In fact, there are comments
indicating that someone has considered this already.  However, I would
like to be able to use virgin Ant binaries, if possible.

My questions are: why aren't InputSource and InputStream supported?  Is
there an easy/preferred workaround?

Robert Dockins