ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <rambiusparkisan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Propostion for improving PropertyFileInputHandler
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:25:38 GMT
Bill,

my idea is that now PropertyFileInputHandler is not
very intuitive to use and the unprepared user might
encounter the same errors as I encountered. What we
have now is:
1) If we use prompts with spaces, we should remember
to  escape the spaces, the way Stefan showed which is
at least tedious.
2) Prompts are changed frequently. In the case of my
task I changed them more than 10 times to adjust them.
And when we change them we should touch them in the
properties file - again tedious.
3) Nothing guarantees that the used prompts are
unique. You say that in my concrete sample I can
rearrange them and I agree completely, but the
non-uniqueness opens the possibility of unintentional
error.

In my case, I checked -propertyfile option as Matt
Benson showed and it seems to work for me so there is
at least one way to do my job.

Let's not forget however that all the three issues
will be solved by making PropertyFileInputHandler use
addproperty attribute and that is why I suggested it.

In short I will be happy if the patch is accepted and
I will not be unhappy if it is not accepted :))

Cheers to all of you, friends
Ivan