ant-user mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Rob.Ander...@nike.com>
Subject RE: not just install, but upgrade/remove Ant
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:48:48 GMT
Comments below...

To upgrade Ant you just need to unzip or untar the new version and change ANT_HOME. I usually
create a symlink and point ANT_HOME to that.

symlink /usr/local/ant -> /usr/local/apache-ant-1.5.3
ANT_HOME=/usr/local/ant
PATH=$PATH:$ANT_HOME/bin

Then when I upgrade Ant, I just change the symlink...
symlink /usr/local/ant -> /usr/local/apache-ant-1.6.2

Of course, you could also change ANT_HOME. I find it easier to use a symlink because then
other users do not have to change their environment variable ANT_HOME when a new version is
installed.

> thx
> Eric
>
> I get many errors related to Ant being unable to load fundamental
> class files.  They look like this...
>
> Could not load class
> (org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.javacc.JJTree) for task jjtree

Could be a conflict. I'm not familiar with this task, but perhaps there are dependencies that
have not been met.

>  - History and other questions which may help -
> I recently installed Fedora Core 2 and I am having trouble running
> Ant.  I tried installing the latest ant, 1.6.2, before realizing I had
> 1.5.2 which must have been installed with FC2.  When I was having
> trouble, I reviewed some trouble shooting and FAQ.  Due to suggestions
> that older versions may interfere with new, I removed the newer
> version(the newer one because this was easier since I knew exactly
> where I put everything...  I think).  Anyway, still can't get it to
> run and I'm not sure how to check if ANT_HOME and PATH are even
> correct because there is no ant/bin in the 1.5.2 version as I'm used
> to.  Best I can tell is that ant.jar is in ant/lib instead of ant/bin.

If FC2 installed Ant, there should be an rpm that you can uninstall. Run "rpm -qa | grep -i
ant" to find the rpm to uninstall.

> 2.  Is ANT_HOME then ant/lib if that's where ant.jar is located?

No, ANT_HOME is the parent directory of the lib directory that contains ant.jar. When you
run ant, you are actually calling a script that builds the classpath and launches java.

> Also, I noticed an ant.jar as well as ant-1.5.2.jar in...
>
> /usr/share/java/
>
> 3.  Could that be a problem?

Yes.

> Perhaps 2 ant versions in one directory?

Perhaps.

> and ant.jar is also located in the following directories...
>
> /usr/share/ant/lib
> /usr/local/jakarta.../common/lib/
>
> 4.  Possible conflict?

I would remove it from all locations and start from scratch. Check all the paths in your classpath
for possible conflicts.

-Rob Anderson