ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Problem with <exec>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:42:16 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sebastian Redl" <wasti.redl@gmx.net>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with <exec>

> Rhino wrote:
>

> > I'm having problems with <exec> and would appreciate some guidance.
> >
> > My project involves compiling, jarring, and uploading a revised Java
> > applet to a webpage. All of that works fine.
> >
> > I decided I would like to try to improve the script by adding a target
> > that displayed the web page containing the applet in each of the three
> > browsers that I have, just to make sure the applet looks good on the
> > web page. I composed this target to do that:
> >

> I don't have a solution for your problem, I'd just like to point out
> that paths of browsers are something EXTREMELY unreliable, so if you
> actually want to use this for a distributed project, you need to come up
> with a better way of finding the browser.
> My FireFox, for example, is installed at
> C:\Programme\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
> Note that even though I accepted the default installation directory,
> it's still not the same, because I have a German Windows. That doesn't
> even take into account my Linux computers, where the path is completely
> different (/usr/share/firefox/lib/firefox-bin I think).

This script will never need to run on any computer than mine so I'm not
worried about the program path changing.

> That said, Mozilla seems to require the -url switch to actually load an
> URL, so I think your FireFox call should look like this:
> <exec ...>
> <arg value="-url"/>
> <arg value="${server.webpage.URL\"/>
> </exec>

Really? I went to a Windows command line and entered this:
c:>"d:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" http://yahoo.com

and it worked just fine. I didn't need to put a '-url' anywhere on the
command line. (I'm using Firefox Preview 1.0.)

Rhino