ant-user mailing list archives

From "W. Sean Hennessy" <shenne...@goldenhourdata.com>
Subject RE: Problem with <exec>
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:10:37 GMT
Perhaps your URL is not resolving across the drive volume if it is using the file:// protocol
instead of http://
protocol.
Recommned an examination of the resulting ${server.webpage.URL}.
Noted that the ie6.path differs in drive volume from firefox.path and opera.path.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rhino [mailto:rhino1@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 1:50 PM
To: ant-user
Subject: Problem with <exec>

I'm having problems with <exec> and would appreciate some guidance.

My project involves compiling, jarring, and uploading a revised Java applet to a webpage.
All of that works fine.

I decided I would like to try to improve the script by adding a target that displayed the
web page containing the applet
in each of the three browsers that I have, just to make sure the applet looks good on the
web page. I composed this
target to do that:

<property name="ie6.path" value="c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"/>

<property name="firefox.path" value="d:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"/>

<property name="opera.path" value="d:\Program Files\Opera\opera.exe"/>

<target name="web" depends="getserver,getprops" description="Display the web page in one
or more browsers.">
<echo message="Displaying webpage ${server.webpage.URL} in Internet Explorer."/>

<exec executable="${ie6.path}" spawn="true" os="Windows XP" description="Launch web page
in IE6">

<arg value="${server.webpage.URL}"/>

</exec>

<echo message="Displaying webpage ${server.webpage.URL} in Firefox."/>

<exec executable="${firefox.path}" spawn="true" os="Windows XP" description="Launch web
page in Firefox">

<arg value="${server.webpage.URL}"/>

</exec>

<echo message="Displaying webpage ${server.webpage.URL} in Opera."/>

<exec executable="${opera.path}" spawn="true" os="Windows XP" description="Launch web page
in Opera">

<arg value="${server.webpage.URL}"/>

</exec>

</target>

The first of the <exec> tasks works: the webpage is displayed in a new IE6 window, just
as I wanted.

The second and third <exec> tasks don't work at all; the <echo> before each task
is executed but no instance of Firefox
or Opera is started, let alone displays the desired page. However, Windows Task Manager (I'm
on XP with SP1) shows three
instances of iexplore.exe, four instances of opera.exe, and one instance of firefox.exe so
it appears that Windows is
trying to launch my broswers.

Does anyone have any idea why this doesn't work or what I can do to make it work?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no
deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
- C.A.R. Hoare