ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Improving Tasks
Date Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:36:23 GMT

I'm starting to get the hang of Ant now and am starting to think about developing some tasks
to increase what it can do.

However, before I start developing entirely new tasks, I thought I might take a whack at improving
a few existing tasks. One improvement I'm thinking about involves the core task <input>.
I'd like to enhance it in a couple of ways:
1. Provide for a masked input field so that it could be used to prompt for a password that
would remain unreadable to anyone looking over the users shoulder. (I envision adding a 'mask="true"'
parameter to make that possible with the default for 'mask' being 'false'.)
2. I'm thinking about adding the capability of having a radio button group and/or drop down
lists so that there are some additional ways for users to provide input.

The problem here is that I haven't any real idea how to go about this. How would I get my
hands on the source code for the existing task without stepping on anyone's toes? Would my
enhancements have to be approved in advance or would I submit them and then go through some
kind of voting process by Ant users with my changes discarded if I didn't "win" the vote?
What testing would I have to do to satisfy the Ant community that my code was clean enough
to implement?

Or should I develop an entirely new task with the intent of deprecating <input> and
replacing it with my 'better' task (assuming I can get it to work ;-)?

By the way, is this the right list for these sorts of questions or should I be asking on the
developers list?

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there
are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare