ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <>
Subject Need help re development
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:47:38 GMT

Many people responded to my question yesterday about getting involved in the Ant development
process. I've been reading the various articles that people suggested.
In the meantime, I thought I would do a few very small, simple tasks to learn the basic techniques.
Unfortunately, I'm having a basic problem that isn't addressed anywhere in the documentation
I've seen so far.

I'm trying to work through the "Writing Tasks" tutorial in the Ant Manual but I'm getting
stuck fairly early on. I've got the first version of HelloWorld working fine but when I go
to do the second one, the one which imports, the import fails. That's
not surprising since I haven't made the Task class visible to my source but I don't see any
instructions on how to *make* it visible.

I downloaded the source zip file for Ant 1.6.2, set up a project called Ant1.6.2 in Eclipse
(where I am developing), and then tried importing all of the src subdirectory into the new
project. I got thousands of errors due to unsatisfied dependencies of one kind or another.
I deleted all of the imported code and tried importing a smaller subset of the source code
- specifically the org.* classes - and that reduced the number of errors to only hundreds
of unsatisfied dependencies. But my code still didn't compile.

I thought perhaps there was a jar in the source zip file that I needed to make visible to
my project but I couldn't find one.

Could someone tell me what I need to do to make the necessary Ant source files visible to
my project?

Also, could someone confirm that I should be trying to develop my code with the Ant 1.6.2
source code? Or should I be using the beta version of 1.7.x?

Sorry if these seem like particularly dense questions but I haven't done any collaborative
development like this in a while and that was in a mainframe environment ;-)

I'd appreciate any hints you could give me.
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that
there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there
are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare