ant-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aggregating filesets dynamically
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:43:59 GMT
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Tim McNerney <mcnerney@navis.com> wrote:

> So the question is, is there some way to dynamically create a
> fileset, containing the aggregate of other filesets, each with a
> differing base dir and the number of which is not known beforehand?

No, unfortunately there isn't.

The main reason is that a <fileset> has a single base directory by
defintion, so whatever the result of the joined <fileset>s would be,
it would not be a <fileset>.

Our generic file collection ATM is <path>, even though it hasn't been
designed for this purpose.  But even if <batchtest> supported a nested
<path> (which should be rather simple), I don't see how to dynamically
create a <path> from a comma separated list of directory names - at
least not without writing a custom task that does it.

The "real" solution would be support for arbitrary file collections
inside of Ant - and inside of all Ant tasks.  So far the goal has been
stated more than once but the way to get there is so long and made
more and more difficult by backwards compatibility that nobody has
really tackled it yet.

Stefan

--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/