ant-user mailing list archives

From james.bur...@brighton-hove.gov.uk
Subject Re: AW: beginners problem: unable to find compile...
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:52:41 GMT

Thanks Jan,

your simple test gives me the same error. JAVA_HOME *is* pointing to my
sdk, and tools.jar exists - the diagnostics output seems to indicate that
ant should be able to find it:

> java.class.path :
> C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\lib\tools.jar;C:\apache\ant\lib\xml-apis.jar;
> C:\apache\ant\lib\xercesImpl.jar;C:\apache\ant\lib\optional.ja
> r;C:\apache\ant\lib\ant.jar;%CLASSPATH%;C:\ORACLE\ORA92\JDBC\L
> IB\CLASSES12.JAR

(note that this classpath isn't set by me). However, it also says

> java.runtime.name : Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
> sun.boot.library.path : C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\bin

which seems like ant may be pointing to the jre not sdk...?

hmmm, I updated to ant 1.6.2 and get the following

C:\DOCUME~1\JAMESB~1\MYDOCU~1\java\src\DBMONI~1>ant -version
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.tools.ant.Main
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:195)
        at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:55)
C:\DOCUME~1\JAMESB~1\MYDOCU~1\java\src\DBMONI~1>

so I'm sticking with 1.5 for now.

 James Burton

 Web Developer

 Database and
 Development

 Cultural Services

 Brighton & Hove City
 Council

 tel: 01273 293594

                          Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw  To:    user@ant.apache.org

                                    .de            cc:

                                                   Subject:     AW: beginners problem: unable
to find compile...
                             22/09/2004 16:29

                          Please respond to "Ant

                                Users List"

1. if possible update to Ant 1.6.2 :)
2. you dont have to copy anything into %anthome%\lib any more; external
jars
should be
   copied into %userhome%\.ant\lib (since 1.6); never heard that tools.jar
should be
   copied into \lib ...
3. are you REALLY using a JDK? look for %JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar ...
4. try a very small example

public class Test {
        System.out.println("Hello World");
    }
}

<project name="test" basedir="." default="run">
    <target name="compile">
        <javac srcdir="." destdir="." includes="Test.java"/>
    </target>
    <target name="run" depends="compile">
        <java classname="Test" classpath="."/>
    </target>
</project>

Jan

> [...]
> C:\PROGRA~1\XRAY;C:\Program
>  Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\Lynx;C:\Documents and
> Settings\jamesburton\bin;Z:.;Y:.;
> java.specification.name : Java Platform API Specification
> java.class.version : 48.0
> java.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory :
> java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferencesFactory
> os.version : 5.0
> user.home : C:\Documents and Settings\jamesburton
> user.timezone :
> java.awt.printerjob : sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
> file.encoding : Cp1252
> java.specification.version : 1.4
> java.class.path :
> C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\lib\tools.jar;C:\apache\ant\lib\xml-apis.jar;
> C:\apache\ant\lib\xercesImpl.jar;C:\apache\ant\lib\optional.ja
> r;C:\apache\ant\lib\ant.jar;%CLASSPATH%;C:\ORACLE\ORA92\JDBC\L
> IB\CLASSES12.JAR
> user.name : jamesburton
> java.vm.specification.version : 1.0
> java.home : C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre
> sun.arch.data.model : 32
> user.language : en
> java.specification.vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.
> awt.toolkit : sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
> java.vm.info : mixed mode
> java.version : 1.4.2_02
> java.ext.dirs : C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\lib\ext
> sun.boot.class.path :
> C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\lib\rt.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\lib\i18n.
> jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\lib\sunrsasign.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\j
> re\lib\jsse.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\lib\jce.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2
> _02\jre\lib\charsets.jar;C:\j2sdk1.4.2_02\jre\classes
> java.vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.
> file.separator : \
> java.vendor.url.bug : http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
> sun.io.unicode.encoding : UnicodeLittle
> sun.cpu.endian : little
> sun.cpu.isalist : pentium i486 i386
>

> Thanks!
>

>  James Burton
>
>  Web Developer
>
>  Database and
>  Development
>
>  Cultural Services
>
>  Brighton & Hove City
>  Council
>
>  tel: 01273 293594

> Notice to recipient:
> The information contained in this electronic mail message is
> intended only
> for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain
> information which is privileged and confidential, the
> disclosure of which
> is prohibited by law.  If the reader of this message is not
> the intended
> recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution
> or copying of
> this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
> communication in error please notify the sender immediately.
> Thank you in
> anticipation of your co-operation.
>
> You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk
>
> Please consider the environment, only print out this email if

This e-mail has been sent to you from a person or organisation outside of
Brighton & Hove City Council.  Whilst the Council has made every effort to
protect its employees by ensuring that the content is free from offensive
or otherwise unsuitable material it is possible that such material may get
through.  If you receive any message that causes you concern then please
call the ICT Service Desk on x2001 or forward it to
spam.mail@brighton-hove.gov.uk to assist us in keeping the Council free
from such material.