ant-user mailing list archives

From "Robert r. Sanders" <robert.sand...@ipov.net>
Subject Re: Automated installation creation
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:29:03 GMT
I have been using NSIS (http://nsis.sf.net) ; I
tried out a Ant task for calling NSIS (lost the URL), but ended up just
calling it via the exec task. NSIS has some really low-level parts
mixed together with some high level bits and pieces; but it works, it
has decent documentation (unlike the INNO Setup, which seems nice, but
seems to lack documentation, using some weird form of Pascal scripting
with no object reference that I could find).

Jeff Davidson wrote:

>Ant-users,
>
>I'm currently using CruiseControl and Ant to build a
>multi-language-sourced project.  I have a few libraries being compiled
>from Delphi source code, and a few more being built from C++ code.
>Together with the main executable (compiled from C++ source) they make
>up the project that I need to combine into a single installable package.
>We currently have a Wise InstallBuilder script that builds an
>installation executable.  The problem is that the Wise tools themselves
>don't seem to be automatable.  That is, I cannot find *any* information
>about running the Wise InstallBuilder from the command-line, which would
>enable me to call it from Ant when triggered by CruiseControl.  So, I'm
>doing some research into alternative installation builders since no one
>here in my office is especially keen on keeping the Wise InstallBuilder
>package.
>
>I know that most of you are packaging Java classes into jar/ear/war
>files for deployment, but I know I'm not the only one using
>CruiseControl/Ant to monitor/build non-Java projects.  Are any of you in
>that subset creating your installation executables within Ant?  If so,
>what package are you using to do so?  Unfortunately (for me), I have
>very little experience with installation creation packages, like Wise or
>Windows Installer.  In fact, those are the only two I can think of.
>
>Any advice or recommendations are appreciated.
>

>Jeff Davidson
>Software Developer
>Rocket Gaming Systems
>(604) 738-7865 x142
>

>This electronic message transmission, including attachments, is for the exclusive use
of the individuals to which this e-mail is addressed and is to be reviewed and used exclusively
for authorized company purposes.  This transmission may contain proprietary, confidential
or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you
are hereby notified that any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or taking
of any action in reliance upon the contents of this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you believe you may have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender
immediately by return email and delete or destroy the original message and/or any copy of
it from your computer system and/or your files.  Thank you.

    Robert r. Sanders
    Chief Technologist
    iPOV
    www.ipov.net