ant-user mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: Depends or antcalls?
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2004 05:23:01 GMT
Robert Mark Bram wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> Apart from being able to specify timing of the call, is there any other
> functional difference between me calling a target with an antcall task
> or  the depends attribute?
>
> Any advice most appreciated!

depends and antcall are quite different. Antcall executes the given
target in a new context, so anything that happens in that context will
not affect the main context. In particular any properties set in the
antcall are not set in the calling context.

If you use antcall, you can call the same target more than once whereas
even if multiple targets depend on a target it only gets run once.

In general, I prefer to use the depends attribute where possible as it
allows my build file to reflect the structure of my build.

Conor