ant-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Ivanov <>
Subject Re: Best way to run Ant without installing it?
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:23:41 GMT
Hi, I think it what you want is possible.
I have done similar thing before, but I have always
extracted to a temporary directory (/tmp on Linux and
AFAIK there is TEMP or TMP environment variable on
Windows) and then ran it from there.

A simple scenario will be to extract ant to a
directory point by user, keep the name of that
directory as a (environment) variable say
ANT_INSTALL_DIR and later invoke it from your script
files as $ANT_INSTALL/bin/ant.

You can also set your PATH:
and now you simply call ant command without specifying
its location.

What bothers me in your scenario is how the user will
specify the directory where ant will be extracted, as
there are various ways:
 - the user can pass it as a command line param. I
think this is the most easiest way for you.
 - the user can pass it to a some GUI installer, and
this installer will call your installation script.

--- Emmanouil Batsis <>

> I'm trying to use an ant as part of an installation
> process. the latter
> extracts an Ant distribution to a directory
> specified by the user.
> What I'm trying to do is to come up with an .sh/.bat
> script that will
> make ant work using the above in an environment
> without ANT_HOME set,
> make ant do some stuff and then delete the ant
> distribution i used.
> What is the best way to do this? Can
> ant-launcher.jar or
> ant-bootstrap.jar help me on this?
> Any pointer to the right direction much appreciated.
> Manos
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Do you Yahoo!?