ant-user mailing list archives

From "Laconia Data Systems" <webmas...@laconiadatasystems.com>
Subject Re: running ant from MSDEV
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:34:25 GMT
Roger et al
There is a new Ant like environment for .NET projects called 'Nant' or Net
Ant to subscribe please visit
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/nant-users
Nant has roughly 51% of the functionality of present Ant Tasks..the good
news is that if you know ant you can easily
import or even run your (.sln) solution from Nant
The bad news is the finer features which I roughly calclate to be 49% of Ant
functionality has yet to be coded
HTH,
Martin-
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dominique Devienne" <DDevienne@lgc.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>; "roger day"
<rog3r.day@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:55 AM
Subject: RE: running ant from MSDEV

> From: roger day [mailto:rog3r.day@gmail.com]
>
> I'm part of a team which is trying to bring sanity to a runaway
> unconfigured build system. One of the thoughts is that we use ANT as
> the main driver. However, it's quite likely that some of the
> developers use an IDE to drive the build systems. I've looked through
> google to find out if ANT can be called from MSDEV, but I'not had much
> success. Has anyone used MSDEV to drive ANT? Or any other IDE (outside
> of Eclipse)?
>
> reading this paper
> http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/ciWithCom.html
> seems to satisfy my requirements. But how did he get VisualStudio to
call
> ant?

You can either (1) use a Makefile project, which allows calling a
Makefile-like external process to build. It has the advantage of being
integrated somewhat, since you press the build or rebuild icon to
launch anything you want. The setup is a little tricky, especially
if you want to debug, but it's possible. You do have to give up or
the duplicate the regular Visual Studio project. (2) Define a little
Macro tool that you add to a toolbar.

We use (1) which calls out Ant which uses CppTasks to compile all
the JNI/C++ code. This is for Visual Studio 6.0. Far from ideal,
but when you do mixed Java/JNI/C++ development and you already use
Ant then everything can be Ant-driven batch-style.

If your project is MSDEV-only, then simple call msdev.exe from the
command line, passing in the .dsw or .dsp. --DD