ant-user mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Ant documentation
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:18:55 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olivier Croisier" <Olivier.Croisier@thales-is.com>
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 9:11 AM
Subject: Ant documentation

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is/was any effort to translate Ant documentation in
French ?
> How can one contribute ?
> Is there a "raw" documentation format, or must it be translated from the
site's HTML pages ?
> Any related information appreciated :)

I have no idea how the documentation is developed but I think translations
to other languages are probably a good idea if they increase the use of Ant.

> Second, I was just thinking it might be great to improve the Ant
documentation system on the site, to integrate a user-editable (wiki-like ?)
zone on each page, like the PHP doc. It is usually of great help as the
community provides a lot of good advices and precisions there.
> I know it would require some hard work; do you think it would be worth the
sweat ?

I'm not sure that Wikis really are a whole lot of work. I just started
learning how they work a few days ago and they seem pretty simple so far,
although they can apparently get more complicated depending on what you need
them to do and whether they are backed up by databases.

I think a Wiki would be a great idea since user contributions really improve
some manuals. For example, I am using MySQL a fair bit these days and the
user contributions, particularly the examples and techniques that people
report really add value to the manual.

Rhino