ant-user mailing list archives

From "James Huang" <judoscr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: [Ann] Ant task for the JudoScript language
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:51:09 GMT
Hi, Jan and Peter,

Thanks for the responses. Yes I am aware of BSF listing of JudoScript and
the related references in Ant literature. But in using Ant, I found <script>
has certain deficiencies, which could be, indeed, those of BSF.

The <script> does not take a "params" attribute as <judoscript> does.
External scripts would likely take parameters and this seems much needed. (I
need to check if BSF supports that.)

When a buildscript uses a scripting language, most likely a single language
will be used. Perhaps you can add something like:

<script *default_language*="judoscript" />

So that the subsequent <script> tags need not to have language="judoscript"
every single time.

Now, suppose <script> does have the "params" attribute as I wish, if I can
alias a <script language="judoscript" .../> into a <judoscript .../>, that'd
be nice, too. I see that the new <scriptdef> tag looks like that; perhaps a
few more examples may help. But that still requires BSF, an unnecessary
dependency and overhead compared to native language support like
<judoscript>.

The biggest problem, however, is the way to pass values through properties;
I used 1.5.4. Ant project internally maintains its own properties, rather
than sharing with the System Properties. I don't see a need for this but
that's the way Ant works now. My JudoScript scripts use system properties,
and they can be run within _and_ outside Ant, so I'm not motivated to write
a duplicate piece of code in the scripts just for that. To support this, in
the com.judoscript.AntJudoScriptTask class, I have to transfer properties
values in and out of Ant from/to system properties. That makes me itchy,
thinking about the performance overhead.

So, I created AntJudoScriptTask and <taskdef> it to <judoscript>. I have
many complicated build activities, e.g., to generate all the articles, ref,
examples in HTML; automated testing including output comparison, JDBC
scripting testing that requires scripts being run in a certain order, create
various shippable packages, ... Like I said, JudoScript's mission and focus
are for practical uses, and is particularly suited for software building and
testing.

I hope that people, especially the Ant team members, discover more about
what JudoScript can do in build process, and make <judoscript> an optional
Ant task. As we all know, Ant is not just for building software, it can
automate any processes; having a direct support for <judoscript> can
certainly help many people and provoke the inner drive to use Ant more. Not
everyone is into make files or build.xml; but once they discover it, things
can quickly change. I will certainly put a lot of literature out there and
this won't hurt. Effort of adding <judoscript> is minimal, and I don't see a
reason not to. Please spare some more thoughts on this, thanks.

Best regards,

-James